Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Back to the Drawing Board

So Ben and I decided this sleeping at night thing is overrated. Lately our family has been rebelling against the whole idea. I had a really really bad sinus infection last week which has left me with a strange cough. I wake up at least twice a night having coughing fits like an old man. I'd be embarrassed if there was anyone around to hear, but luckily the walls here aren't quite as thin as our old apartment! Lately Rachel has forgotten that sleeping through the night is a skill she mastered months ago. And because she cries so much at night, Brandon doesn't want to be left out. It's exhausting! So Ben put the portable crib in Rachel's room and said no more big girl bed until she puts herself back to sleep on her own. Otherwise, she likes to get out and play with her books instead of sleeping. It's been exciting around here.

Sunday was my first day teaching CTR 7. It went well I think. I asked the kids what they learned the week before and one little boy said, "I don't know. All I know is the teacher didn't bring candy". And I'm thinking....I didn't bring any either. He is going to hate me. Oh well, we got to role play the story of the Good Samaritan, so he forgot about his sugar tooth. I think this will be a good experience. I haven't gone to primary since I was in it myself, but I think it will be fun. At least none of the kids licked my arm or punched me, which is more than I can say for my poor sister-in-law (darn Sunbeams).



Rachel and I are spending our days learning about the parts of the body. So this week we focused on her nose until she could point to it herself. So now I say "Where is Rachel's nose?" And she pushes on it and taps it. I wanted to make a video, but our camcorder was dead. Sorry. Anyway at one point we played "Got Your Nose". So I make the motions and say "Rachel I got your nose!" She just looks up at me, and at my hand that has her nose, and says "Uh-oh!"


Brandon had his first experience with rice cereal this week. He liked it. I forgot how messy that first feeding is though. But he needs it. Otherwise he might start going through a can of formula every day! Okay that is an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

Ben has been working at Thrifty being a counter agent for the car rentals. He gets to drive cars to and from the airport...which he loves. But it has been bad for his "addiction" to new cars. He took the job as just a temporary position until he could find something more related to his major, and is really enjoying it now that he knows how it works. We're hoping he'll be able to work up to a management position soon (they get company cars and free gas, as well as better pay and hours!). He's done really well so far and has mastered in two weeks what usually takes over a month- what else would we expect from him?!

4 comments:

Amanda Hansen said...

I'm sorry that your little ones aren't sleeping very good. Well if you need to talk to someone in the middle of the night while you're up with them you can call me because my kids seem to be going through the same thing too :) I hope it gets better for ya cause it can get exhausting. I love your family pictures, you are such a cute family.

Rachel said...

Rachel is such a cutie!

Rupp Family said...

Wow...what a crazy life right now for you guys! Keep us updated on the whole job thing...hope it works out how you would like it too! Oh, and I can't believe how big Brandon is....Crazy!!

Michelle C said...

Oh no! Not having enough sleep is killer!! Hopefully things will settle down and hopefully you're feeling better! Primary huh? Little kids are fun. I taught that class before I was married and really enjoyed it. We're in nursery now. So cute about Rachel and her nose!