
Back in the good old BYUI days, I took a class in the general education department. The class focused on helping you become your best self in many areas of life. I wish I could remember what it was called. Anyway, at one point during the semester, my teacher brought up the subject of plate spinning. He said you could start spinning a plate and keep it going round and round even after you let go and added another plate to the stage. After awhile, however, you have to run up and down the stage to keep all your plates spinning, and if you add one too many, they all crash.
I have been thinking about this a lot lately as I have reflected on the way I live my life. I can spin one, maybe two plates really easily at the same time! I find that if I focus on keeping my house clean, I'm not exercising as frequently. Or if I focus on trying to research/cook super healthy meals, I'm not spending as much time in my scripture study. On and on and on.
So my question to anyone who might read this is how do you find your sense of balance? There are many good things I need to be doing. I guarantee one of my plates is NOT keeping up with current TV shows. Every plate I want to spin has merit. So how do I do all the things I want to do without crashing and burning?
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!



4 comments:
I have yet to figure that out. Sorry that probably doesn't help. I just kind of figured that it will be like thus until my kids are older and then I will be longing for them to be little so I should enjoy all the crazyness now. (Are you still sugar free?)
When I'm doing really well I'm schedule oriented. I have a time to do what I want throughout the day. I wake up and go work out. come home and put kids to nap and shower. Kids wake up and I go grocery shopping, blah, blah, blah. This is how I fit everything in. It sounds kind of OCDish but whatever works, right?
I can't imagine three kids, I do what I can with two, so my advice is probably not at helpful as others. I find if I prioritize and then eliminate those things that aren't so important. I also put together a cleaning chart of small things I can clean each day and just do small things each day, within a week everything got clean. My house isn't perfect for one day or even one hour, but it isn't crawling with bugs and germs. So my advice is just to do small things here and there and let go of the stuff that in the end just take away your peace and aren't needful. When I get three kids, I'll let you know how it works out, I might have completely different advice, or I might just be calling you asking how you did it.
HA. I have one kid and I struggle with this. I'll be stalking your blog comments looking for the secret!
Post a Comment